****DISCLAIMER:

Please Note that I am neither a physician nor a social worker. Check with your physicians and/or members of your medical team before considering using any of the tools and/or strategies suggested herein.****

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tip #407 Bibs and Bobs; Hairum Scar'em Part II

     For those of you who missed the first Hair'em Scar'em post, let me tell you that I know the spelling is wrong, but the gist is that my "hair, umm, scares, 'em" sometimes, and scares me often when I am quite ill. There's not much that can make you feel as amazing as having a clean scalp when you feel miserable, and so the Part I post deals with logistics. Logistics like how to wash hair in bed, from the counter, at the tub, and items you can buy retail to help you with that endeavour, no matter what your mobility (or the mobility of the one you are caring for) situation is at any given time. I know having 2 posts on hair seems a little trivial, maybe over done? But I'm okay with that, 'cause after many surgeries, many immobile times, and much time on bed rest I have to say that it's a really important thing, at least for a girl, and maybe for a boy? But, I will leave it at that.
     So, Part II is all about products and services. You likely have a routine that involves specific products, or non-specific products if you don't mind getting whatever is on sale. I find that, for a lack of a better word "trauma" hair, behaves differently, and requires some extra TLC. I have very long, uncoloured, non-grey hair but still find it a little high maintenance when ill, so I will try to include what I personally know, and what I've gleaned from others professionally. IT'S A VERY LONG POST with a lot of info, so I've tried to highlight items for you so you can skim to find what you want. Luckily for me, one of my attendant care pros happens to be a hairdresser too. Ms. J. shared lots of great info with me. Thanks Ms. J! So here goes:

  • Some salons will come to you
    • There are some hairdressers who have an in-home salon business. Try googling "in home hairdressing, or home hairdressing, or mobile hairdressing in your area. 
    • It might sound crazy, but I have seen many hairdressers come to 'regular customer' houses (maybe Joe blow out of the blue won't come if they don't know you, but you can always ask). And/or if yours won't come, ask if your hairdresser knows someone who could/would come
    • Consider tipping very well if your hairdresser does come to you, (some don't come back if not, but many do). 
    • Student hairdressers are often keen too - they're often just happy to have a head to practise on! Try googling hairdressing schools in your area, or check with your city business listings on the city's main page (most have an option for a search, and only include local - less to muck through to find what you want that way).
    • Reconsider your expectations. Do you really need it cut every 6 weeks, or is every 10 weeks okay? For those of you who die your hair, do you care right now? Could you and a friend use the boxed kind, so you only required a cut from the professional who is graciously coming to your home? I know that for a good year I couldn't sit up for more than about two minutes, so we did a lot of "simplistic" cuts (still nice because done by a hairdresser, but started sitting, finished while laying, or just one layer instead of a few, or a straight cut, etc). Any improvement is a good improvement and feels good under those circumstances.
  • Cutting it all off isn't always easier...You might think so, but not not necessarily.
    • Shorter hair is harder to style and (in my opinion) requires more time and more effort. Long is nice... braid it, stick it in an elastic, get it out and off your face. Personal preference I guess, but long is handy in my books.
    • If you have a neck injury or people regularly working on your neck, it's harder to have middle-length hair. Shorter or long is good, but middle not so much; for therapists, and for you (gets gunky, pulled, etc).
    • I do have to say though that you should maybe prepare yourself for having to cut a bunch off in terms of having healthy hair. Sometimes meds make it very gross and cutting is the only option. So sorry if that's the case, but, it does grow back.....
  • Washing tips 
    • Wanna know the best invention since sliced bread? Earplugs! They are a joyous invention!!  The thing I hate most about someone else washing my hair is that it's so easy to get water in your ear, and so hard to get it back out again! Especially if you are trying to avoid water going down somewhere because of a dressing, IV, or anything that can't get wet. Ah, wearing an earplug or two makes such a difference....
    • Turns out that it's better not to wash your hair everyday. Every other day is actually better for your hair. Who knew? 
    • You don't have to wash all of your hair, it's actually better for your hair if you only wash the roots (and let the soap clean the rest as you are rinsing). Takes a lot of time off the process too.
    • There are now some "dry" shampoo like products, that don't require you to conventionally "wash" your hair with water and shampoo. I was VERY excited about the Tresemme dry hair wash and tried it out recently. It's a mousse, and you put some in your hair, and towel "any of the greasy spots" and let it dry. It might work for you, but I however, found it to smell like baby barf, and my hair looked worse not better. Not a fan at all, and I haven't convinced anyone else to take it and try it themselves. Not a popular choice apparently.
  • Conditioning tips 
    • All conditioners are not created equally. 
      • Some detangle, or are supposed to, some don't. I find that conditioners targeted to dry hair are best when your hair is unhappy with your illness. I have tried many, and I find Pantene helps detangle more than any other, and works really really well. 
      • If you can't be mobile/upright long enough for your hair to be conditioned, there are leave in conditioners that are great. There are pump ones (infusium, pantene, etc), and some cream ones too. I find the pantene cream the best for conditioning, but that if you use too much, it makes your hair greasy, which defeats the whole purposed. So, I usually use the pump pantene instead most of the time.
      • If you specifically need a detangler, then good ole' Johnson and Johnson's pump "No more tangles" is a great choice. It's not often at the grocery stores but Walmart and baby places usually carry it. Again, pantene has a nice one - I switch them up. 
      • NOTE: DANGER When using the pump versions of detanglers/conditioners, be careful!!! Lay a towel on the floor behind you if possible before using the pump kinds because conditioners (as it turns out) often have floor wax ingredients in them. We didn't know this for a while, and our bathroom became much like the scene from "Risky business." Lots of floor sliding, and a lot of funny scenes, but, fortunately no accidents when they were easily possible.  
      • Alberto VO5 hot oil treatments. I used this product while in high school (oh, maybe 20 years ago as sad as that is to say...), and it still works as great as ever. It's not an every day solution, but it's very quick. Put it in dry hair, sit for a minute, wash (with shampoo) it out, and presto magico... softer, more manageable hair, that adds maybe 2 minutes to the time you must be upright to wash your hair. Good deal.
  • Skin issues
      • Eczema. dandruff, psoriasis, dry skin, acne.... they are not lovely words, but if you are prone to experiencing them, then your current status might bring them to the surface again, and in full force. Sorry. Not so fun, but you're not doing anything wrong...
      • Ask your Doctor if you need a prescription, but in the mean time, there are a lot of "tea tree oil" products that many find success with. There are all sorts of Head and Shoulder/Selsun blue anti-dandruff shampoos, and unfortunately, my experience is that you need to try them and find what works for you. A small heads up - the tea tree oil products are usually natural which is nice, but I find it stings, and some stink... You might think differently though 
  • Styling Tip
    • Yep, tip. Just one. I have recently learned that a bobby pin is an amazing styling tool, and easy to implement with just one hand. When you are used to drying your hair a certain way, and then are too ill to sit and dry it with the blow-dryer, then letting it dry over a few hours can play wreak havoc with your style. I'm no style-mogul, or style-anything, but I have recently learned and appreciated the power of the bobby pin. Thanks Ms. L. While wet, you use the bobby pin the pull your bangs down flat for example, and when it's dry and you remove the pin - your bangs will stay much nicer, and closer to where you wanted them. I suppose everyone's hair is different, but turns out I've learned that many of my friends already do this, I was just behind the times.... not overly surprising!!
Well, that's it. Finally. Hooray to those of you who made it this far. Hope there's at least a little something you were able to glean to feel cleaner and/or better about things.

Happy Hair, umm, not Scare-ing 'em!

2 comments:

  1. All this stuff is relevant to new moms too - especially moms to multiples or special needs kids. Washing my hair more than once a week? What a joy that would've been in the midst of the worst sleepless nights and dreary days. Yes my mobility wasn't compromised, but my time and energy was...

    ReplyDelete