****DISCLAIMER:

Please Note that I am neither a physician nor a social worker. Check with your physicians and/or members of your medical team before considering using any of the tools and/or strategies suggested herein.****

Monday, September 12, 2011

Tip # 333 Bibs and Bobs; Hairem Scare'm Part I: Logistics

     I know, it's supposed to be "Harum Scarum" not Hair'em Scare'm, but when have I ever followed convention? Besides, I'm not actually talking about recklessness, or the band, I'm talking about hair. Actual hair. As in my-hair, um, scares-em.
     What? Well, when you (or the one you are caring for) are so very ill, any small thing that can make a big impact on state of mind is not just great, it's amazing! When you're in a blaze blue hospital gown, it's easy to feel unattractive, and it's common to feel vulnerable. And dirty. Hospitals are crawling with germs and ick, and for many this is hard to come to grips with. Or, you're back at home and you need others to help you clean and change dressings, or help toilet you, etc., and that's doesn't feel so attractive either, and then you've got greasy unkempt hair to boot... how frustrating! Well, you get the gist. So, a small thing like brushed or especially washed hair is a little thing that can make a huge difference.
     Oh, and, for the record, I'm a girl. So, I don't really think that hair is a small thing!  I have been only 2 days out of the ICU (and back into the regular ward), and asked 4 people to hold me up I could stand and dunk my very long hair into the sink. It was exhausting, but every bit of discomfort was worth it for how good it made me feel! So, with that let's look at some tips, and tricks for accomplishing the clean hair goal for the "Ah-there's-no-feeling-like-being-clean-in-the-midst-of-all-of-this" look.
  • Washing hair in a bed
    • In hospital they often wash your hair in bed with this kind of device, but there's no reason you can't purchase it and use it at home.
    • Fancy frugal home situation? Put some towels on the floor, and an empty bucket, have a couple of pitchers of water, and you're ready. Hold person's head over the edge of the bed (still face up, while they are laying on their back), and make sure one hand is always keeping the head supported while the other is used for washing and rinsing. This method is so much more helpful if you have assistance, but doable without as well. 
  • Washing hair at sink
    • From sitting
      • Sit a telephone book or a pillow under your bum to raise you up a bit higher (but make sure sturdy and safe first - and with a spotter).
      • Invest in a spray rinser for your sink if possible. If not, fill a couple of pitchers with water before you start so that when it is time to rinse you don't have to keep moving your head out of the sink to fill it all up
      • get a perching stool so you can adjust the height easily (and most let you tilt forward a bit, which is helpful for putting your head in the sink
      • Buy a portable shampoo bowl  . It converts your regular sink into the type that is used is salons.
    • While laying
      • Yes, that is really what I wanted to say. I have had my hair washed many-a-time from the counter. Yep, laying on the counter. Now, I can't recommend you do that as it isn't exactly safe for some, but if you have the appropriate assistance (at least 2 people helping) it may be an option - I'm still not advocating it though:)!!!
  • Using the Bathtub
    • At the tub
      • Use a perching stool or a simple bath stool (since they are adjustable) or some other kind of safe chair or stool on the outside of tub. Then, lean down, and put your head over the side of the tub while someone uses a sprayer or jugs of water to wash and rinse hair.
    • In the tub
      • If sitting in tub, have someone fill jugs of water from the sink and pour it over your hair so you can wash and rinse it. 
     Okay, so we have the logistics of it all covered. But, there's more. A lot more. So, I will continue this post soon in "Hairem Scare'm Part II." There are all sorts of things that one can do to make person feel better about both appearance and non-ickiness, several of which relate to - you guessed it - hair. So stay tuned for info about dry shampoo products, getting someone to come to you to cut your hair, how earplugs can make you joyful, and some other bibs and bobs too.
     With that I'll say goodnight for now, and hope that there's enough info here to help you feel a little less "scare' em" and a lot more "hair - yum,"

Happy Washing!




1 comment:

  1. Ah... the feeling of freshly washed scalp. I'm so with you there! On a really bad day (week???) it's the difference between survival and crawling into a whole to hide - indefinitely. Now if I could only get the kids to leave me ALONE while I wash my hair it would be even better! Fresh scalp AND silence? Golden!

    ReplyDelete