****DISCLAIMER:

Please Note that I am neither a physician nor a social worker. Check with your physicians and/or members of your medical team before considering using any of the tools and/or strategies suggested herein.****

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tip #347 Wise Words Wednesday; Perfection-Smerfection

     How are things going these days? Wonderfully I hope! In reality though, I get that things might not feel so great these days - whether physically, emotionally, or spiritually. And, that's natural, normal, and nothing to feel ashamed about. And for all of the Type A personalities, I get that things/services/people/you-yourself can feel even more inefficient, inadequate, or incompetent in the same situation - darn perfectionists! As an aside, if you want to see what I look like, go to the dictionary and look up perfectionist...
     But - now hold on to your pants perfectionists - it's okay to not have the highest of expectations for a while. And, take another deep breath... no one is going to do everything the same way that you did, could, or would, including yourself (given current limitations/circumstances in general). Trying to make that happen will only drive you, and others around you, absolutely certified off-your-rocker-brain-is-melting- kinda-crazy.
     So, I say, let some things go. Pick your battles, and the world seems like a better place. And, five years from now you're not going to look back to this time and say "I ruined his birthday because I ordered that present online (since I can't physically get to the store) and it wasn't exactly what I thought." No. And, no one looks back ten years from now and says, "I can't believe she thought it was a good idea to wash the reds and whites together" or, well, you get the gist....
     My thoughts? Save your energy and fight only that which is worth fighting - especially when the person you need to fight most happens your perfectionist self! And, don't sweat the small stuff. It just isn't worth it. I think Annette Funicello says this better, and I think many of us could stand to adopt her mantra.

So, how are you now?

Perfection, smerfection. Who needs it?

Happy wonderful-ing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment