****DISCLAIMER:

Please Note that I am neither a physician nor a social worker. Check with your physicians and/or members of your medical team before considering using any of the tools and/or strategies suggested herein.****

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Tip #53 Wise Words Wednesday; Courage and the Try

 Have you had or heard that conversation anywhere? 
"Are you going to do it or not? You can't say try! You'll try? Did you say try? There is NO try! Either you'll do it or you won't. I reiterate - there is NO try!"
     I get that people will choose all sorts of ways in which to get peak performance out of people. Some may hold your hand and walk beside you all the way, and others use the tough-love attitude - sometimes also known as the Drill-sergeant approach (much like the one-way conversation quoted above). My take? Well, I think the best way to help someone to "be all they can be" (pardon the pun) is to encourage them, and acknowledge the "try" in HUGE ways! I know it sounds crazy and far too easy, but you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar. Right? 
     Okay, that all sounds good I know, but what happens when a) your trying doesn't get you anywhere, and b) no one is encouraging you? Well, then that's a good time to do an inventory of what you are capable of, based on coming as far as you have in ANYTHING you've ever done. You had the top job? Great! You had the job at the lowest end of the pay scale, but managed to provide for your children in each and every way? Great! You sat up for 14 seconds today, when two weeks ago you could only do it for 5 seconds? Great! You are a person of courage. You know what that means? That means you have all the tools necessary to reach your recovery goal - whatever that may be, with or without encouragement. Encouragement is a bonus. Again, you are a person of courage.
     Now, before you say "I haven't done anything courageous - what are you talking about? " or "Are you crazy? I was terrified of the pain each time I had to do my exercises…." or "But I cried…" and lets not forget the "but I didn't do it well. I fell/failed/only got half way there…." hear me out. Maybe you are not wired that way at any time despite your current situation (and Hooray if that is so! Truly!). However, I have encountered it in others often, experienced it myself, and would suggest that the general public feels this way at least some of the time too - and they do so minus the recovering. So, if any of the comments above sound familiar to you in any way, shape, or form, please hear me out. Actually, hear two very wise people out…

     I hope you can allow yourself to be proud of how far you've come, and the courage it has taken to get to this point. Most of all, I hope you can see you that you have the courage to pull off seemingly impossible things. 

Try? Good golly yes you can try - and keep on trying too! 

Happy showing up that Drill-Sergeant!

No comments:

Post a Comment