****DISCLAIMER:

Please Note that I am neither a physician nor a social worker. Check with your physicians and/or members of your medical team before considering using any of the tools and/or strategies suggested herein.****

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Tip #274 Bibs and Bobs; Don't Drink and Write?

     I know - it's a bizarre title for a post. Just to be clear, there is no drinking going on here, nor drinking and writing! But, I can see how you might have wondered if I was, had you read my last post (about your Inukshuk). I started to write the post last night, and I wanted to get it up and running before I forgot the points I wanted to make. Towards the end of the post I got so tired that I kept waking up to find the computer on my lap with the post box open. I'd reread the paragraph, type a few words and the next thing I knew - I was once again waking up with the post box open in front of me!
     Imagine my surprise this morning when I woke up and couldn't remember closing the computer or whether or not I had posted the post. Guess what? Somewhere in my dreamy-land brain I must have decided the post was ready to go. In my much more awake state this morning I looked at it and decided "ready" wasn't a word I could use to describe the post.
     What did I do then? I laughed. After the laughing settled, I sat down and rewrote the part I had written while in la-la land. So, sorry to those of you who may have been confused... apparently I was confused too!
     Not that everything has to be a lesson, but if there was one to learn here, I'd say that it was to "sleep responsibly"in order to prevent recurrences of the "drinking and writing" style of posting, or any equivalent thereof in life. But how does one sleep responsibly? You do whatever it takes to get the sleep you desperately need to heal and to cope. While those "whatever it takes" items are different for everyone, there are always commonalities such as carving out enough (or any) self-care time in the day, rearranging the timing of some medications (but working with the pharmacist or physician to do so), working through anxiety, stress, and so many other items.
     So, how about we make a deal? You ask (and answer) yourself about what you need to do in order to "sleep responsibly" and I'll ask myself. Then, how about we each work on even just one item from our respective lists that would help us meet that goal. In the mean time, please laugh at me for my silliness, and if you don't already - practice laughing at yourself in this kind of situation, too.  It really does feel so much better to laugh than to feel embarrassed, to regroup rather than avoid, and to work towards good goals rather than sticking our heads in the sand.
     With that I'll say goodnight, and which you a fantastic night of sleeping, and a wonderful happy and sunshiny-day tomorrow!

Happy Responsibly-ing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment