****DISCLAIMER:

Please Note that I am neither a physician nor a social worker. Check with your physicians and/or members of your medical team before considering using any of the tools and/or strategies suggested herein.****

Monday, June 27, 2011

Tip #27 Wise Words Wednesday; Might Like Nike

     Well, it's not Wednesday, but here is my Wise Words Wednesday quote from last week. I had it finished on Wednesday, but my internet was down, and I had another procedure this week.... well, you know how it all goes! So, better late than never right? Here we go...

Might Like Nike:
      I love it when companies get creative about their names. Really. Even when I was little I did wonder why people didn’t name their store something more creative than Bob’s Mart. But, if that was good enough for Bob, who am I to complain? It’s not my store! But Nike, well, Nike didn’t let me down in this department. Do you know who Nike was?
     If you go back to Mount Olympus from the days of yore, you will find that Nike was not only a goddess, but she was the goddess of strength, speed, and victory. Yep, let me say that again – she was the goddess of these three things:
Strength.
Speed.
Victory.
     Can you name three things that you wish you could achieve in terms of the process of recovery for you and/or your loved ones? I can:
1.     I’d like to have much strength:  
a.     Physically: to gain as much function as possible given the new normal
b.     Emotionally: to work toward balance in all areas of life despite the rollercoaster of recovery.
c.      Spiritually: This is the most important one to me. For me, my faith in Christ makes attaining “a” and “b” possible.
2.     I’d like that strength to have happened yesterday, and absolute full recovery to have happened the week before thatJ Can’t get much more “speedy” than that!
3.     I’d like to kick this illness in the behind until it is annihilated, and then put my arms up in the air and dance like a football player who has successfully executed a touch down! Totally victorious!
     Hmmm, I don’t know about you, but I see a bit of a trend here…  Strength, Speed, Victory. Well done Shoe Company, I get why you chose the Nike name! Very creative.    
     And you know what else the shoe company was creative about? They have a slogan that is very fitting for everyone – and especially for those recovering. Why do I say that? Well, in my regular life, I have learned that if you want to jump off a 75-foot high cliff into the water, it’s best not to sit at the edge of the cliff and think about it for a long time. It’s better to stand at the edge, get your bearings sorted out so you know where you are going, and then jump right away. I believe the same is true when it comes to giving yourself a needle, or doing any of the gazillions of things that can be hard to do because they inflict pain, or side effects, or fatigue, etc.  in the recovery process. Just like that jump, don’t think about how it will hurt, and don’t wonder whether you have the chutzpah  for the task. No, instead, if you want to be victorious, you should really try to heed Nike’s slogan.  You have that slogan yet? Probably, but I’ll say it anyway. If you want to have might like Nike then….
Just Do It
-Nike Inc.
Happy Nike-ing!

No comments:

Post a Comment