****DISCLAIMER:

Please Note that I am neither a physician nor a social worker. Check with your physicians and/or members of your medical team before considering using any of the tools and/or strategies suggested herein.****

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tip #7 Wise Words Wednesday; Kickin' it Like a Kangaroo

     I want to be a kangaroo. No, I haven't lost my mind (well, at least not entirely), and, I only want to be a kangaroo figuratively speaking of course. Why? I came across a quote from Sid Waddel that illustrates the kind of spirit I wish to have at all times, and especially in the process of recovery and/or caregiving. Who is Sid Waddel and what did he say? Wikipedia tells me he's an entertainer from the 1940's, but other than a witty man, that's about all I know about him. I'm not sure in what context he intended the following words, but here's his direct quote anyway...
It's like trying to pin down a 
kangaroo on a trampoline.
     What the "it" is that he is talking about pinning down I may never know, but I want to be like the kangaroo on that trampoline. Okay, well, so I don't want the part where someone or something is trying to pin me down - obviously, but take a second here to really think about that kangaroo on the trampoline. Can you see it? Let's call him Joey... 
     Can you see Joey jumping? Natural ability to jump high and far is one thing, but enhanced with a trampoline - good golly that would be fun to watch! I want to have that kind of fun, put all cares and worries aside, jump high because I can, feel as free as the birds in the sky, and bask in the joy of it all. I don't mean to speak for you be you caregiver, survivor, or professional, but I think we all want that. Don't we?
     And, neither do any one of us want to be pinned down in the middle of experiencing all of that fun - even if we don't get totally pinned. Severe illness or trauma to yourself, or to those you love can feel much like being pinned; not so much fun at all really.So why do I quote Sid Waddel today? Just to say that we want to be free from all the cares in the world, but illness and trauma get in the way as they try to pin us down? Wow, what an uplifting thought (please read sarcasm into that). No, that's not it.
     Yes, illness and trauma can feel like a huge weight placed upon oneself, in whatever role you are playing right now (caregiver, etc)... BUT, there is hope for all of us in Sid's quote. Yes, hope - and victory too. We don't need to know what Sid's "it" is to understand that "it" is something that is nearly impossible to accomplish. "It" is a difficult thing. After all, can you really picture anyone being successful in keeping a kangaroo pinned down on a trampolene? He's fast, efficient, and most importantly Joey is a fighter. Joey has the ability to elude capture, fight the good fight, and I bet he feels joy in the midst of it since ultimately, he's still jumping, and thus victorious. 
     The same can be true for us. We can't control what happens to us, any more than that kangaroo can control whether or not anyone tries to pin him anywhere at anytime. But, we can control how we respond to what happens to us -  and that includes making room for joy in the midst of it - maybe not in each and every moment, but in some moments. You know that Joey is still going to be happy to touch the clouds in some of those moments, even though he's fighting the good fight. That's one of the reasons why I want to be like a kangaroo; the pinning is not impossible, but it is improbable - and those two words are miles apart from each other. And I won't even say the pun I'm trying to hold back from saying, okay yes I am - the more you focus on the clouds and the jumping, the quicker and better you'll bounce back... Sorry, I couldn't resist:)

Happy bouncing!

No comments:

Post a Comment