****DISCLAIMER:

Please Note that I am neither a physician nor a social worker. Check with your physicians and/or members of your medical team before considering using any of the tools and/or strategies suggested herein.****

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tip #444 Wise Words Wednesday; Plan for Joy

 What really raises one's indignation against suffering is not suffering intrinsically, but the senselessness of suffering
-Freidrich Nietzche
     Suffering isn't fun. Little girls and boys don't grow up to say "I think I'd like to be a person who suffers." But, illness and trauma happen. They happen to regular people in different ways, they rarely appear at a "good" time, and they never seem to arrive as a result of logic or reason.
     Because the illness/ trauma doesn't arrive as a rational acceptable outcome of life no matter how often we are exposed to it, we are often hard-pressed to believe it is happening or could happen at all. But it does. And, while experiencing this kind of life-altering change is no bundle of joy, the idea that anyone has to suffer at all in this life is a difficult pill to swallow - period (I must say that I didn't use that pun intentionally, but it works!). I like Neitzche's words because they eloquently depict the powerlessness people feel in the face of such a senseless reality. 
     The answer? I wish I had a magic wand and could fix it all - though I suppose that's not all that possible. A girl can dream... Okay, I am going to make a suggestion, but know that I do not wish to insult anyone who has proverbially waded through the swamp by telling them to practice walking in a 2 inch puddle. I know that many of you have tried much already.  That said, my almost overly simple response is to say plan for joy. Everyday. Plan for finding joy in the little things - the manageable things. 
     Plan for froot loops or some other random cereal you used to eat as a kid. Read a chapter of a book you like. Look through photo albums. Go for a 10 minute walk. Listen to music and take a few moments to really sing with it... You get the gist. It's easy to not fit joy in - it is one more thing to think about. I get that. But, an amazing thing can happen when you do focus on planning for joy; it becomes easier to spot even when you are NOT planning for it. Yep, small things can make a big difference, and that small step you take to plan for joy can make a big difference in the lives of those around you too. So why not try it?

Happy Planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment